Research Scientist, Molecular (NGS) & Automation
Location: Aliso Viejo
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Are you motivated to participate in a dynamic, multi-tasking
environment? Do you want to join a company that invests in its
employees? Are you seeking a position where you can use your skills
while continuing to be challenged and learn? Then we encourage you
to dive deeper into this opportunity.We believe in career
development and empowering our employees. Not only do we provide
career coaches internally, but we offer many training opportunities
to expand your knowledge base! We have highly competitive benefits
with HMO and PPO option, including several options based on your
personal usage. We have company 401k match along with Employee
Stock Purchase Program. We have tuition reimbursement, leadership
development, and even start employee of with 16 days of paid time
off plus holidays. We offer wellness courses and have engaged
employee resource groups. Come join the Neo team and be part of our
amazing World Class Culture!NeoGenomics is looking for a Research
Scientist in our Aliso Viejo, CA location who wants to continue to
learn in order to allow our company to grow.Now that you know what
we're looking for in talent, let us tell you why you'd want to work
at NeoGenomics:As an employer, we promise to provide you with a
purpose driven mission in which you have the opportunity to save
lives by improving patient care through the exceptional work you
perform. Together, we will become the world's leading cancer
reference laboratory.Position Summary:The Research Scientist I
works under general supervision and is responsible for conducting
scientific research leading to the discovery and development of
high value, proprietary diagnostic products, related to NGS. The
Research Scientist provides accurate and pertinent scientific data
according to agreed upon methods, procedures, techniques, while
providing conclusions and recommendations based upon investigations
and literature reviews, within the established project schedules.
Experience in developing automated liquid handling methods will be
highly preferred.Core Responsibilities
- Designs and conducts molecular-based experiments (NGS, PCR,
Sanger, etc), collect data, analyzes results in support of the
Company's project development objectives, and provides/implements
process or document improvements.
- Process samples related to clinical research projects (e.g.
molecular and cellular biological techniques such as PCR,
sequencing, handling, and isolation of DNA/RNA from patient
specimens, tissue culture, are strongly desired).
- Prepares reagents and materials for testing when
- Maintains laboratory records in accordance with company
- Tests new equipment using manufacturer's guidelines.
- Maintains laboratory in a clean, functional state, as well as
cleaning, performing, or scheduling equipment and instrument
maintenance/calibration/certification, as required (GLP).
- Summarizes data and analyzes results, formulates experimental
conclusions, and reviews project progress with the supervisor.
- Assists in the preparation of scholarly articles for
publication; presents results of independent research; writes
reports/summaries for internal communications and completes
scientific papers for peer-reviewed journals, publishing abstracts,
manuscripts, or industry requirements.
- Follows all SOP's, safety policies, and prescribed practices,
policies, and guidelines; uses SOP manual as a reference to support
work performed; completes all necessary paperwork related to job
- Assist in the implementation of requirements as identified by
the Quality Assurance department.
- Train new departmental staff with regard to technical and
operational procedures, including safety policies and
- Demonstrates initiative in making suggestions to improve
efficiency and productivity and provides consistent feedback
- Attends weekly team and department meetings, along with any
additional training/educational meetingsRequirements
- Education: Ph.D. in a life or physical science or M.D.
preferred; B.S or M.S. in a life or physical science with related
- Good understanding of laboratory techniques
- Ability to develop and deliver complex directions and
scientific project plans---
- Detail orienated with the ability to capture and record complex
scientific data accurately and reliably.
- Good written and verbal presentation skills and the ability to
use software tools to produce high-impact presentations of
- Experience making NGS Sequencing libraries (e.g. RNA, targeted,
exome, WGS, etc.)
- Working knowledge of common genomic terminology (exome,
targeted RNA/DNA panels, gene structure), databases (UCSC/EBI/NIH),
genome versions, and tools used in genomics (e.g. dbSNP, COSMIC,
ClinVar, UCSC genome browser, Galaxy, IGV)
- Preferred experience background in genetic/genomic testing
especially cancer or somatic testing. (e.g. Targeted high depth
- Basic understanding of Bioinformatics and ability to apply
knowledge or willingness to learn; Use of Data Science techniques
to analyze data is highly recommended
- Various liquid handling methods development and/or scripting
experience highly recommended (GUI-based experience counts)
- Ability to problem-solve independently and escalate problems
appropriately in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment,
with minimal guidance
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
and maintain production and quality standards; CLIA, NYS, and
- Must be able to work in a biohazard environment and comply with
safety policies and standards outlined in the Safety Manual
- Must possess good character, a positive mindset/attitude, and a
sense of humor
Keywords: NeoGenomics, Aliso Viejo , Research Scientist, Molecular (NGS) & Automation, Other , Aliso Viejo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!