Intake Counselor - Call Center - Per Diem - 12hr
Company: Aliso Ridge Behavioral Health & Anaheim Community
Location: Aliso Viejo
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Job DescriptionPOSITION TITLE: Intake Counselor- Call
CenterREPORTS TO (TITLE): Regional Director of IntakeEMPLOYEE PAY
STATUS: Non-ExemptDESCRIPTION OF POSITION:To assess the needs of
prospective patients and phone callers and ensure their referral to
the service or resource to best address those needs.KEY
- Responds to telephone inquiries from persons seeking mental
health care or information about mental health-related
- Through a systematic process of interaction with patients, the
patient's significant others, and the appropriate health care
providers, collects and analyzes data regarding the patient's
physical, psychosocial, environmental, self-care, educational,
spiritual, cultural and anticipated discharge needs; determines
patient's alcohol or drug toxicity; identifies signs of withdrawal;
conducts screenings or assessments to determine needs of
- The care and treatment of the patient are rendered in a
competent manner and are based on current chemical dependency and
psychiatric nursing/clinical knowledge and standards; care is
evaluated against the goals and plan of care and is revised as
needed and appropriate to the patient.
- Facilitates the patient's access to the appropriate level of
care and setting.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with
patient services counselors and coordinators, intake department,
physicians and health professional affiliates, healthcare
facilities, and nursing staff.
- Demonstrates good skills in assessing client's crisis and
clinical indicators via phone and in-person and documenting such on
a call sheet and scheduling assessment as clinically
- Prepares written report of assessment results in a timely
manner (immediately following completed assessment) and includes
recommendations for the level of care and treatment needs.
- Makes appropriate interventions during assessments, and crisis
situations with clients, family/friends and other professional
- Assesses need for involuntary hospitalization evaluation and
contacts county crisis team, law enforcement and others.
- Enters the data of calls and assessments in the computer system
in a timely manner.
- Assists clients who are not admitted into a program with
follow-through of clinical referrals and recommendations.
- Provides pertinent clinical information to physician and
program staff who will be reviewing the patient to ensure a smooth
transition for the patient.
- Distributes documentation of admissions to the Business Office,
Admitting Unit and the Utilization Review Department.
- Maintains knowledge of the developmental tasks and sociological
theories of pertinent age groups.
- Maintains knowledge of legal guidelines pertaining to
EMTALA/COBRA and abuse/neglect reporting.
- Communicates with managed care organizations to obtain
insurance benefits and pre-authorizations in a timely manner.
- Stays abreast of organization's programs and
services.RequirementsEducation and Licensing:
- Bachelors/Masters degree in a related field or
- Current state of California RN license, or
- LVN, or
- CADC/CATC, or
- LMFT/AMFT/MFTi, or
- LCSW/ACSW Knowledge and Experience:
- 6 months experience in an acute psychiatric and/or substance
use disorder setting (preferred)
- 6 months experience in admissions or intake (preferred)
- Familiarity with continuum of care and clinical
- Knowledge of DSM V diagnostic criteria
- Current CPR certification within thirty (30) days of hire
- Current CPI certification (or within 30 days of hire)Skills and
- Maintains confidentiality of patients at all times
- Knowledge and skills in phlebotomy (preferred)
- Knowledgeable of patient rights and laws pertaining to mental
- Assessment and intervention skills
- Persuasive manner and skills in overcoming denial and
resistance to treatment
- Ability to concentrate on task in high traffic areas
- Ability to deal with crisis and potentially combative patients
while maintaining personal and emotional equilibrium.
- Sensitivity to, and willingness to, interact with persons of
various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds
- Proficiency with software and/or equipment (Microsoft Office
applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize
projects, work relatively independently, manage multiple tasks, and
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good judgment, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated commitment to working collaboratively as well as
possessing the skills to lead, influence, and motivate others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, expanding organizationPhysical
Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, this
position is frequently required to do the following:
- Use standard office equipment and access, input, and retrieve
information from a computer. Use computer keyboard with manual and
finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient to perform
repetitive actions efficiently for extended periods of time.
- Communicate effectively in person or via telephone in a manner
which can be understood by those with whom the person is speaking,
including a diverse population.
- Give and follow verbal and written instructions with attention
to detail and accuracy.
- Perform complex mental functions and basic arithmetic
functions; interpret complex laws, regulations, and policies;
collect, interpret, and/or analyze complex data and
- Vision: see details of objects at close range.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Reach forward, up, down, and to the side.
- Ability to stoop, lift, finger (pick, pinch or type and
- Sit or stand for minimum periods of one hour at a time and come
and go from the work area repeatedly throughout the day.
- Lift up to twenty (25) pounds.BenefitsHealth InsuranceVision
InsuranceDental Insurance401k Retirement PlanHealthcare Spending
AccountDependent Care Spending AccountLife Insurance (Supplemental
Life, Term and Universal plans are also available)Short and
Long-Term Disability (with additional buy-opportunities
Keywords: Aliso Ridge Behavioral Health & Anaheim Community , Aliso Viejo , Intake Counselor - Call Center - Per Diem - 12hr, Other , Aliso Viejo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!